Important Travel Information


Travelplan Ski strongly recommends that you examine information from these government resources before departing Australia.

Smartraveller & DFAT Travel Advisories
Phone: 1300 139 281 or +61 2 6261 1111

Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service
Phone: 1800 020 504 or +61 2 6272 3933
Returning to Australia

Australian Customs Service & Tourist Refund Scheme
Phone: 1300 363 263 or +61 2 6275 6666

What you need to know before you go

Baggage Allowances
View airlines general baggage allowance policies

Frequently Asked Questions

What is my baggage allowance for checked and carry-on baggage?

We recommend prior to departure, you check exact baggage restrictions with the airlines on your itinerary. Japan domestic flights usually include a smaller free checked baggage allowance than the international flights. US and Canadian domestic flights usually do not include a free checked baggage allowance, and you must pay for each piece. These charges are often waived if your flight connects to or from an international flight included on the same booking and ticket. You may need to produce documentation of your connecting international flight on check-in. Note: This waiver will not apply if you check-in for your flight online or kerbside.

Where can I find flight airline seating assignments?

We will relay your requested seating to the airlines included on your itinerary. In some cases airlines may automatically book seat numbers based on your loyalty program membership profile. Some airlines will not allow pre-assigned seating in certain booking classes and other carriers, such as Qantas, charge for seat assignment if you are not a certain category of their Frequent Flyer program, or flying in first/business class. In this case we suggest you phone the airlines and pay for seat assignment by credit card.

Airlines reserve the right to change seat assignments. Airline check-in staff may claim that no seat assignment has been made in these circumstances. If your printed itinerary shows seat numbers allocated, be assured these have been generated by the airline reservation system. If they have been changed, this has been done so by the airline.


United States Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) You must complete this yourself

All eligible travellers to the United States (including those in transit) who wish to travel under the Visa Waiver Program must now apply for authorisation using the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation website, Beware of scam websites and type this URL exactly. A US$21 fee applies for each application. ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travelling to the United States, however it is recommended no less than 72 hours prior to travel. Travel authorisations are valid for multiple trips within a two year period, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. Prior to travelling, you should update application details, relating to your next trip, on the website.

Although not required, it is recommended you print a copy of your authorisation number for your records and carry it whilst travelling. Apply for ESTA no later than 72 hours before departing for the United States. Real-time approvals will no longer be available and arriving at the airport without a previously approved ESTA will likely result in being denied boarding.

United States Secure Flight ProgramYou must complete this yourself

If your flight tickets to the USA have been issued by Travelplan Ski, your passport information will already be entered in your flight booking. As a separate requirement to ESTA, your passport information must now be entered into your flight bookings at least 72 hours prior to departure, for all flights to and within the United States. International or US domestic tickets cannot be issued without this information in the booking. If Travelplan has issued your airlines tickets, passport information is in place and no further action is needed. Passenger names in your booking must be written exactly as per passport, or boarding may be denied. If you have a redress number issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security, please provide this. The redress program is for individuals who have encountered misidentification and screening problems at airports.

Canada Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) You must complete this yourself

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to (or transit) through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. To apply you must have a valid passport, credit card, and email address and a few minutes to complete the online form. Beware of scam websites and type this URL exactly. A CA$7 fee applies for each application. In most cases, your eTA will be approved within minutes of applying. If you travel by land or sea, you will not need an eTA when you enter Canada. Your eTA is linked to the passport you used in your eTA application. You will need to present the passport you used to apply for your eTA to airline staff each time you board a flight to Canada. Once you have an eTA, it will be valid for five years, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you change your email address after you apply for an eTA, you must update your address online. You will need an eTA before you board your flight to Canada.

New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorisation (NZETA) You must complete this yourself

Effective October 2019, some travellers are required to hold an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) before they leave for New Zealand. This applies to travellers from visa waiver or transit visa waiver countries who are in transit through New Zealand, even if New Zealand is not their final destination. You don't need a visa or NZeTA to enter New Zealand, when travelling on your New Zealand or Australian passport. Australian permanent residents are required to hold an NZeTA. It can take up to 72 hours for an NZeTA request to be processed. An NZeTA request costs NZD $12 if completed online. You pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) at the same time as your NZeTA. This costs NZD $35. Visit for full details or to request an NZeTA.

How long must my passport be valid for? What do I do if I need a Visa?

A passport is required for overseas travel. A minimum of six months validity from your planned date of return is now mandatory in many countries, even for visitors in transit. Passenger names in your booking must be written exactly as per passport, or boarding may be denied. Please advise Travelplan Ski if you wish us to make any necessary visa application on your behalf. Travellers must ensure that they have a valid passport and any required visas for their travel.

European Travel Information & Authorisation System (ETIAS) You must complete this yourself.

Important Information when travelling to Europe

From mid 2025 Australian Passport holders now required a ETIAS Visa for Europe & Schengen Area: ETIAS travel authorisation is an entry requirement for Nationals of visa-exempt countries (i.e. Australia) travelling to any of these 30 European countries. It is linked to a traveller's passport. It is valid for up to 3 years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you will need a new ETIAS travel authorisation.

Applying for an ETIAS travel authorisation: You can fill out the application form using either the official ETIAS website for the ETIAS mobile application. Applying for the ETIAS travel authorisation costs EUR 7, though some travellers are exempt from paying this fee. Read more about what you need by clicking here.

Your ETIAS check-list:

  • Apply for an ETIAS travel authorisation well in advance – before you buy your ticket or book your accommodation.
  • Make sure your passport details correspond to those in your ETIAS authorisation – you will be refused boarding and entry at the border if they do not match.
  • Make sure your ETIAS travel authorisation is still valid.
  • Check how long you can stay in the European countries requiring ETIAS.
  • Make sure your passport is valid for three months after your intended departure from the European countries requiring ETIAS - you will be refused entry at the border if it is not (exceptions apply).

What if I need urgent consular assistance?

You can call the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre, operated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade: Phone: 1300 555 135 or +61 2 6261 3305

When overseas, how do I contact Travelplan Ski in an emergency?

If you urgently need to make travel changes after commencing your trip, it is best to contact service providers directly, such as the airline, hotel or your travel insurance. Travelplan Ski is also contactable from overseas in a genuine emergency: Business hours phone: +61 2 9958 9700 After hours phone: +61 2 8456 3710 Email:[email protected]

What are the rules for taking liquid, aerosols and gels through security onto international flights?

Liquids, aerosols and gels include items such as drinks, creams, perfumes, sprays, gels, toothpaste, lipstick, lip balm and similar substances. If the items are greater than 100ml, place them in your check-in baggage. If you want to take items through the screening point make sure: Each item is 100ml or less - All items fit in a transparent and sealed one-litre bag - Only one bag per person. At many airports you will able to purchase or collect items like duty free and drinks after you have passed through the screening point for your international flight. For more information,

Are my travel itinerary details kept private by Travelplan Ski?

In the event that an accident, disaster or emergency is reported to have occurred in a country you may be travelling, Travelplan Ski may be required to disclose to the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade details of your itinerary and contact details.

Why are flight details on my itinerary different to those appearing on my airline tickets?

Airlines often adjust their flight schedules. Therefore, flight details showing on your itinerary may not match those on your airline tickets. Please refer to the flight details on your itinerary and not the flight numbers and times that appear on your tickets. You may like to confirm flights are due to depart on-time using an airline's website or phone service.

What do I do in regards to airline loyalty programs?

Feel free to advise your travel consultant of airline loyalty program membership numbers prior to your departure. Upon check-in please confirm with the airline staff at the airport that your membership number has been registered in your booking. If it has not been registered please request that they issue you with a new boarding pass showing this number. Most airlines only allow a limited time frame for you to claim back your points if they have not been recorded. It is always a good idea to retain your boarding passes for each flight, until your points are credited.

Do I need travel insurance?

We consider travel insurance to be a necessity to cover unexpected events such as illnesses, accidents and loss of possessions. If you have not yet taken out insurance please ask your travel consultant for a quote. If you have already taken out insurance please ensure the policy covers recreational snow sports. Travel insurance is ESSENTIAL for travel to North America.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Travelplan Ski.